Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Wedding Dress - Day 1

THE WEDDING DRESS ---  Is there any one thing that is more important to a bride?  I'll answer that for you-- no!!

Maggie and I took a three-prong approach.  First, we went to a tiny wedding boutique, next to a midsize bridal store…then to the Grand Dame of them all…Kleinfeld's in New York.  You know - the massive store where the reality show"Say Yes To the Dress"is filmed?  I'll tell you about all three experiences over a three day period.  Today, we'll start with the tiny boutique.

First of all, I was surprised that most brides today wear some shade of OFF-white.  When I was married 30 years ago, I wore stark white. I admit, the ivory shade is much more flattering to all skin tones.  Pure white can be so harsh.

The advantages of a tiny boutique?  Personalized attention.  We were the only ones in the store, as it was by appointment only, and only one bride was admitted at a time.  We had the wedding consultant's undivided attention.  The downside?  --Limited inventory.

We actually made two trips to the tiny boutique, as they had one dress we loved…but it was not 'The Dress.'  Another negative, they didn't take American Express.  Tiny establishments often do not, as their cost per transition is more than Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.  And in my opinion, American Express has the best buyers' protection, as well as bonus/cash- back options.


No comments:

Post a Comment