Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Roman Catholic Wedding Ceremony






Our family is Roman Catholic.  It is not easy to be married "in the church."  There is more work involved than a protestant ceremony.  I can speak from experience, as Kenny and I were married first in the Presbyterian Church, (my church growing up), then we had a second wedding in the Catholic Church after I converted to Roman Catholicism.

I think if religion is important to both the bride and groom, it is not to everyone, it's easier if a couple is untied.  Kenny and I made the decision before we married that we would first get married in my "hometown church," then I would convert.  I didn't realize, however, that it would take me TWO years to complete the process, and that it would require getting married all over again.  I don't think any parish requires that today.  This was 30 years ago, remember.

Maggie and Rob, KK and Tyler are lucky.  All four are Roman Catholics.  They didn't have to jump through the hoops that Kenny and I did.  There is a lengthy process, though.
















In order to be married in the Catholic Church, either the bride or the groom must be a confirmed Catholic.  One can not become a confirmed Catholic unless he/she is baptized, attends 9 years of CCD - religious education, received his/her First Holy Communion, and First Reconciliation (you may think of this as "Confession").  Then the candidate is eligible to attend between one and two years of "Confirmation Classes."  Finally after all this, the candidate is accepted into the Church as a full member.

Now you want to receive the Sacrament of marriage?  One must be a registered member of a parish, or his/her parents are.  All sacraments, (listed above), must be documented.  Then the bride and groom meet, on average, three times with a priest, and attend a "pre-cana" marriage workshop.  This is at least a five hour class.  The class addresses everything from children, to in-laws to finance.  A lot of work?  You bet.  But so is marriage.  The Catholic Church has struggled in the recent past, but I think this is one thing they're doing right...





Image # 1 - abt-unk.blogspot.com
Image # 2 - www.oldsaintmarys.org
Image # 3 - alleneoccasions.com

http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best   My e-book mystery about a wedding planner!

2 comments:

  1. That’s really great!! I am very happy to know about Catholic’s wedding styles. Well, I am also thinking to marry in Las Vegas Church. Because, I have seen lots of Las Vegas Weddings in Church and it looks awesome. What you think about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been interested in traditional weddings and it is always great to attend such weddings. Last month I attended the wedding of my friend at wedding venues nyc and I loved that wedding as the theme was traditional.

    ReplyDelete