Monday, September 8, 2014

"Final Installment of the 'Camping Trip' "






As you recall… the car coming toward us was fishtailing first in our lane, then in his own, and back again to ours.

"What are you going to do?" I asked Kenny.  My voice filled with panic.

"Just hang on."  His knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel.  He braked as much as the wet road would allow.  Then the out- of -control car was in our lane again, and we collided.  Kenny's airbag deployed.  This was 18 years ago… I had no air bag.

I've had never, nor have been since, in a car where an air bag went off.  The car filled with a powdery substance and I thought the car was going to blow.  I quickly got the little girls out on the 'cliff' side, and ran to get Kenny out as the air bag had not yet deflated, and he couldn't open his car door.

As I was getting him out, the driver of the other car approached us and asked if we were ok.  I said, "No."  I wasn't sure about my husband.  His arms were burned from the air bag exhaust, and I think the explosion of the bag knocked him out for a few moments.

The other driver said he was "going to get help."  I said, "We have a cell phone, don't go!"

He replied, "I need to get help." And he RAN!  Kenny got out of the car and dialed 911 on our cell phone, which measured 8" x 3" by 3 inches deep!  And we were PROUD of it!  :-)

The other car's passenger approached and said that the driver would be 'right back.'  HA!  He never returned.  The police appeared, and told my wise husband it was a good thing we collided in OUR lane, because if Kenny had tried to avoid him, but somehow hit the car in HIS lane, Kenny'd be at fault.  Makes sense, I guess.

Kenny waited for the tow truck, (our car was totaled), while the kindly officer took the girls and me back to our campsite.  Kenny came back four hours later, (as the sun was coming up), his burns dressed and with a rental car.

We were the talk of the campsite, but as a matter of interest, the people in the campsite next to us, 8 feet away, (I TOLD you we were in tight quarters!), WERE hit by lightning!

And FYI, the drier left the scene as he had been drinking.  Leaving the scene of an accident in Wisconsin, at that time, was a $ 200.00 ticket; but if he tested over the legal limit…DUI.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you about my future son-in-law, the EAGLE SCOUT!, and unveil KK and Tyler's reception venue!!
http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best


 

No comments:

Post a Comment