Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"The Journey Begins…KK and Tyler…"




I guess I should not have been surprised that KK and Tyler wanted a more "rustic" nature -type feeling to their wedding.  They love to hike, fish, camp, and well, just enjoy the outdoors.  I LOVE the venue they chose.  More about that tomorrow…

I think KK's love for camping began when she was just a little girl. Her father, Kenny, used to take KK and Maggie camping with Indian Princesses in the Chicago Area.  I cringe when I hear the stories of how they cavorted with no female supervision for long weekends with other "Chippewa Tribe" members…

Today's tale involves our family when we were just four…(we are seven, soon to be eight!)

The Year was 1995.  Maggie was 4, KK 7.  We lived in the Chicago area.  I DESPERATELY wanted to go "Tent Camping" in Door County, Wisconsin.  Why you ask?  I really don't know.  I had heard it was beautiful, it was the thing to do.  And I had my own good memories of camping with MY parents when I was little.  I wanted to share that with our girls.  So, months in advance, I made a tent camping site reservation.  I did not look at a 4 month extended forecast…. Yep, you can see where this is going…

It WAS beautiful.  The air was heavy, though.  I had not lived long enough in the midwest to have a clue…yet.

We went to a mom and pop grocery, loaded up our ice chest with steak, salad, french bread, a bottle of cheap red wine, smores makings for the girls, and breakfast supplies.  I was so excited.  We had a great evening, one of the best.  The bugs weren't too plentiful, the weather not too hot, the tent was raised without too much fuss…

We went to bed cozy and happy.  Then…the skies opened up.

Check back tomorrow, to see how the Karnes fared with a lightning strike, a drunk driver and a ride in a police car…  :-)
 http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best

No comments:

Post a Comment