Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Preserving Your Wedding Cake"






The above photo, if this is your first time reading my blog, is of Maggie and Rob's wedding cake.

The photo to the left is a photo taken by my friend, Lisa.  She took it at a wedding she recently attended, and I lifted it as I thought it was so beautiful.  I am guessing the leaves and vines are fondant, but the flowers are real.  I'll ask her and get back to you…

Today I promised to tell you how I preserved Maggie and Rob's top wedding cake layer.

It was very easy, the only thing you should do in advance is make sure you have a very large Tupperware-type round bowl - about 18" across and 6" deep, a board of set the cake on, plastic wrap, foil ---- and this is the most important --- room in your freezer!

Step #1 - Choose someone reliable to commit to preserving your top layer.

Step #2 - Safely wrap and preserve any cake topper you may have used.  Hopefully, the future generations would like to use it.  I love how Debbie chose a porcelain ornament so it can be handed down.

Step #3 - The experts say to freeze the cake 30 minutes to 2 hours ahead of the process.  I think this was recommend because some cakes are frosted in butter cream and thus the frosting is not firm.  I did do this, but as Maggie's was covered in fondant, I don't think I needed to.

Step #4 - Whatever you choose to set the cake on, whether it be a plastic cutting board, a piece of wood, or cardboard, wrap it in foil to protect the cake from tasting like the platform.

Step #5 - Cover the cake in 2 layers of plastic wrap.

Step # 6 - Then cover the cake in 2 layers of foil.

Step #7 - Store the whole think in the Tupperware Bowl and freeze.  Don't forget to "burp" the Tupperware to get the air out!  This will preserved your cake for up to a year.

Most of this info was gleaned from: Susannah Chen - www.yumsugar.com

Tomorrow --- Pictures from my first anniversary, and our cake!

http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best - my new mystery!  (It's about a wedding planner!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment