Wednesday, May 21, 2014

"The Fence"





I was old enough to know better...

I had just brought home my brand new" Texas Station Wagon" - a Chevy Suburban.  I LOVED it!
I had never driven a car of it's size however…and we had just put in a new fence in the backyard.

In our then town of Plano, Texas, all houses have alleys behind the homes, and the garages face rear in the alleys.  It was supposed to make it more convenience for trash pickup, deliveries, etc.  I was never a fan, rather indifferent.

So…boom.  I ran into the new fence with my new car.  I'm not sure I even 'fessed up to Kenny about this.  Fence was OK, and the car was too, except for a small scuff on the left bumper.  I was sick. Every time I went to get in the car, I looked at the scuff, and hoped it would look better.  It didn't.  I would like awake at night miserable.  I lost sleep. Guess what?…A year later, we moved to Connecticut, and because of the snow and hilly topography, I had to get a four-wheel drive Suburban, and traded the "scuffed one" in.  In less than a year, that scuff didn't matter AT ALL.

So if I can give just one piece of advice to Rob and Maggie, it would be: 'Worry only about the things that matter, and even then, worry about only those things you have the potential to change.  You will have a happier marriage if you do so, and be a happier person.'  I should take my own advice…
http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best

3 comments:

  1. Valuable advice. I was once told "I wasn't happy unless I had something to worry about". That is a sad state of affairs so for years I work on asking myself what's the worst that can happen and what can I change vs. out of my control. I think I am better at letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very much the same, Debbie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrapped (literally) my first car around an apartment parking post. Drove a friend's RV into a condo parking area and ripped off the top aerial. Backed my Equinox into a tree. Lost tons of sleep not wanting to tell my mom and (now) husband. Continue to be a worrier, but have learned that I cannot worry about things that I cannot control. BTW--have gotten better at the driving thing--thank goodness since we own Corvettes!

    ReplyDelete