Saturday, May 31, 2014

"The Wedding Last Night"




Kenny and I were talking…How long had it been since we had last been to a wedding?  You know how it is…when all your friends are getting married, there is a period of time when you may attend as many as four weddings a month.   Then there is a lull.  You may attend family weddings, but as I have no siblings, and Kenny only two, that wasn't a large pool.  And living so far from "home" we weren't able to attend many of the extended family weddings.

We both decided that that last wedding we attended was when we lived in Dallas and went to the wedding of the daughter of a business associate in Fort Worth.  That was a LONG time ago…

Last night, we had the pleasure of attending the wedding of the son of dear friends.  Yes, it begins.  Now the wedding crush of the children of our FRIENDS!  In the next couple blog entries, I'll address all the changes in wedding etiquette I observed last night.  But today, I'll tell you about the most striking thing TO ME that I noted.

It was…if you already haven't figured it out by the photo above, (www.appsfuze.com),  the mother/son dance.

Having only daughters, I had focused on myself, and never gave much thought to what the mother of the groom experiences throughout this process.  A woman raises her son, then when he marries, has to share him with another woman - and we women are not wired to share well -- well…I'M not  :-)

The mother/son dance punctuated that bond last night.  It was touching, and beautiful.  Maggie is lucky that her Rob has a good relationship with his mother, and that Debbie is such a generous soul - in many ways.  Looking forward to 13 days…and that mother/son dance!

Tomorrow…wedding guest attire…  http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best

No comments:

Post a Comment