Saturday, April 26, 2014

"Spaghetti Dinner"


It's funny how much you don't know when you first get married, even though you think you know it all…

I THOUGHT I  knew a little about cooking when we got married 30 years ago.... I had won a 6th grade talent contest in…cooking…, after all - I know!  Can you believe it?!?

Well, my cooking skills consisted of throwing a steak in a frying pan and cooking it…Not much of a "talent."

I had given no thought to my first dinner preparation as a new wife.  We only had a three day honeymoon to San Francisco, as I was in the middle of the school year, (teaching), and our first full day back home,  I worked.  I was exhausted at the end of the school day.  I checked the office one last time for messages before calling it a day, no email back then, and returned to my room to collect my belongings. And there... On my desk... Was the simple makings of a spaghetti  dinner. It consisted of a jar of Ragu sauce, a package of pasta, a bag of dinner rolls... and flowers.  I drove home with great excitement and that night, we ate like kings. To this day, one of my favorite weddings gifts!  The gift giver... Anonymous

And as a footnote... my wonderful husband has perfected quite the homemade red sauce. Guess he finally got tired of Ragu!  :-)

Yep… that's me below in the picture, my first year of teaching, the year we got married.  Now no one can say I don't include embarrassing things about myself in this blog…
http://my.bookbaby.com/book/simply-the-best

2 comments:

  1. Mom, this is my favorite post! Crazy how such a small gesture for one person can be a cherished memory for someone else 30 years later!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, KK. The thoughtful person may not even remember!

    ReplyDelete